Lavender Yoga Studio is now on Facebook!
The Schedule for May/June is now online and hard copies will be in the studio.
Check out the studio Face Book Page - I am planning to give helpful tips on yoga asana and other information about health and wellness - so "like" the page! Om Shanti
Exciting news: If you click on the "Online Classes" above in the Quick Links you'll find 4 videos. The topics to date are: Weight Training, Stretching, Abs, Gentle Back Care. Please be patient - I'm learning how to do this and remember that it isn't a professional filming job - maybe that will happen eventually.
Sign up for monthly emails about...
- Schedule Updates
- The Studio
- Helpful Yoga Advice
Candi "Madhuri" Lavender (RYT 500)
Candi is a certified Integral Yoga © Instructor at the 500 hour level and holds a certification in Cardiac Yoga ©. She began studying yoga in 1970 while she was a dance major at the University of Utah and has taught yoga in Winston-Salem since 2001.
She is a firm believer that Yoga is a way of life to obtain health and well-being, as well as inner peace. The studio is located in her home to provide students with small, individualized classes in a clean, quiet and safe environment. There is great attention to precise alignment and safety during Hatha as well as chanting and Pranayama. There are two Restorative Classes per week to de-stress and even a class on Back Health. Look under Schedule to find one that will fit your needs. Private sessions are also available.
Candi completed her Integral Yoga training at the Satchidananda Ashram in Yogaville under the guidance of Sri Swami Satchidananda. She travels to the Ashram at least 4 times a year for workshops and spiritual guidance. Her experiences and accreditations include:
- Certified in Cardiac Yoga© certification under the direction of Dr. Mala Cunningham of the University of Virginia at the Satchidananda Ashram in 2001.
- Studied physiology with Roger Cole, PhD, an Iyengar yogi and authority on yoga and physiology.
- Studied anatomy with Leslie Kaminoff and Steven Weiss.
- Participated in workshops with Patricia Walden, Aadil Palkhivala, Yogi Hari, Erich Schiffmann, JJ Gormley, Baxter Bell, Felicity Green, Baron Baptiste, Mark Stevens, Swami Asokananda, Pru Kessner, Richard McCord, Gary Kraftsow, Suzanne Newton and Louisa Klein.
- In February 2004, she was asked to help lead a week-long seminar in Cullowee, NC at the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching (NCCAT) to work with teachers from across the state. The seminar was entitled "Optimal Health" based on the Ayurvedic principles that lead to harnessing the healing power of the mind.
- In February 2005 she spoke at the Cardiac and Pulmonary Function State Convention in Charlotte NC on yoga's benefits to the heart. There were about 75 people in attendance and yoga was well received.
- In December, 2005 Candi began the Structural Yoga Therapy Certification with Mukunda Stiles. This is an intensive training that uses yoga as a therapy tool for clients with specific needs. The training involves learning techniques for assessment of problems areas in individuals and offers specific yoga asana and pranayama for treatment.
- In July, 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 Candi was one of the staff for the Teacher Training program at the Ashram in Yogaville.
- In January, 2008 Candi traveled to India with a group of Integral Yoga Teacher from the US, Spain, Portugal and the UK. The purpose of the trip was to see the places that shaped Swami Satchidananda's life and teachings and to take satsang with different Gurus at Ashrams that were important to Swami Satchidananda and his family.
- In April, 2008 she received her certification to teach Laughing Yoga. Did you know that the average 4 year old laughs 400 times a day and the average adult laughs 15 times a day?
- In July 2009 Candi finished her Intermediate Teacher Training at the Satchidananda Ashram.
- March 2010 Candi conducted a workshop in Birmingham, Ala for the PhBalanced Studio.
- October 2010 Candi conducted a workshop at Gold's Gym in Winston-Salem.
- In August, 2011 Candi conducted two workshops for the Basic Teacher Training program at the Satchidananda Ashram.
- In March, 2013, Candi became certified in Anatomy and Physiology through Penn Foster University.
- April, 2013 Candi was invited to teach Anatomy to the Basic Teacher Trainees at the Satchidananda Ashram.